Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Unusual Requests.....

This year I asked a friend of mine what he wanted for Yule.  He told me this year I would like for you to knit me a T-Cell....luckily when he told me I was on the phone with him so I could look strangely at the phone and answer OK...I will see what I can do about that.  When I got off the phone the first thing that came to my mind was what the heck does a T-Cell look like....so I conducted a Google search and found it. 

Now when I looked at pictures of a T-Cell, I saw pictures of DNA, graphical representations, etc.  It wasn't until I found an actual slide of a cell from under a microscope did I figure out what I needed to do.  So off to the local yarn store for ideas.  I was with my best friend and fellow knitter and we were throwing out ideas when we came across the yarn that we thought could work.......

Now mind you I had no idea how I was going to use the yarn I found because I had never knitted with it but I thought what the heck.  So I knitted for a while on one pattern and it didn't work so I started the project again.  It took me approximately 3-4 days of knitting to come up with the result below.....

Liz's first T-Cell design.......




Using puff ball yarn in three different colors and using an eyelash yarn weaved into it, this is the result.  I created a T-Cell pillow that looks like a T-Cell if you have seen the pictures. On the other hand it also looks like a demented cupcake if you didn't know what a T-Cell looked like.  Needless to say I was laughing my butt off when I finished this during my holiday knitting frenzy. 

I had the fortunate experience of giving the pillow to my friend in person.  He wasn't sure what it was....so I said remember when you asked me for a T-Cell.......he looked at me with wide eyes and said I didn't expect you to take me seriously ;-).  I said you now have a Liz Original Design T-Cell Pillow.  And everyone laughed so hard.  He was very happy and it made my day to see his smile.  So I said you will now always have something to keep a smile on your face and you will always have 1 rather large T-Cell.

May the mirth still keep you laughing all the while......even when life gets you down.....may you always find humor in your life.

Project was created with Bernat Puff Ball Holidays colors in red, multi, and white.  Also using Martha Stuart Red Eyelash yarn to accentuate the hair like structure of the cell.  I used size 9 US/ 5.5 metric needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment